Friday, November 21, 2008

SPCEL

I want to start The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the English Language. Let's start with "lay" and "lie."

You don't lay down to take a nap. You lie down to take a nap.

"Lay your head on my shoulder. Lay your warm and tender body next to mine." This Country-Western song got it right.

I think this battle has been lost, but somebody has to stand up for the elites. Anybody out there want to adopt a word and be its guardian?

Want to know more about this word - click here.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite (??) language pet peeve is people using "irregardless” when they mean “regardless”. This error totally reverses the meaning of their statement. So, of course, to be perverse, I respond to the statement as stated.... then gaze stoically and unblinkingly into their confused eyes as they try to figure out what just happened.

    ReplyDelete